You are stars hanging from twine,
beautiful slights of hand kept out of sight and in mind.
Hello dripping hurricane remnants.
1. fold the lawn in two and cover with dew.
2. Laugh early in the morning and late at night while no one else is awake.
3. Groan at tomorrow’s early.
4. Forget about the things that you might want after you’ve had your morning coffee. You do not want them at 3 a.m. when your covers are the perfect temperature.
5. Walk your fingers down my spine and then let me have my turn. I want you to go first so that I can spend more time giving you what you want. Don’t worry so much.
6. Your freckles are like sunspots. I might think they are cooler to touch than they really are. It’s okay. I like your heat. Your soul is a bright star.
7. You might run from yourself and I might run from myself. It’s okay. Did you know that if you close your eyes and walk in a straight line, you go in a circle and return to your destination? People naturally walk in circles. There is harmony in our hearts. We’ll forget about that later on, but it’ll still be true.
8. I like you because you’re honest.
9. Being honest is hard sometimes.
10. I keep two stones in my camera bag. They were given to me in the past, and I call them moon stones. You’re supposed to put them in your pillow to guide you through your dreams or something like that. There were three but I lost one of them, somewhere along the way while it was guiding me through my dreams. If you ever lose one of your guiding stones, don’t worry. You will find another one somehow. It might not be a real stone. It might just be a feeling that comes up in your self one day while you’re eating breakfast or dinner.
11. Small kitchens make terrible workspaces for cooking. But you won’t care if you’re cooking with the right person. There’s something to cooking food with someone that really says “I’m watching out for you and you’re watching out for me.” At least for one meal. Sometimes life is just one meal, and then another meal, and then another meal. You can take it a day at a time, or a meal at a time, or a smile at a time.
12. Time is a man made construct that gives us all sorts of feelings that we enjoy having.
13. One of those feelings might be the feeling of running out of time. It’s okay to like feeling a little rushed, sometimes. Just don’t let it cloud your jar of fireflies that you’ve got in your soul. It happens to me.
14. Remove from oven after 25 minutes, or when golden brown. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
15. Do not feel scared to eat the cinnamon sugar directly from the dish that you have made it in. You might have more than you needed for the recipe. That is one of the greatest pleasures in life. More than you need. There is not always a lot of more than you need. Sometimes there is more than you need and you don’t notice it. You’re wearing sunglasses on your heart. Everything around you is bright and stabbing and it hurts.
16. If you’ve ever been to West Texas, realize that you’ve been to one of the most beautiful places on Earth. Just one of them. There are a lot that I haven’t even seen. One of the most beautiful places that I have seen is my bedroom, after it is time to turn on the lamp. You smile and your tongue presses against your teeth and your eyes are bright, I take the sunglasses off. I let it hurt, just a little bit. The good hurt, when you walk out onto the porch in the morning and the sun hits your eyes. You think about letting it blind you, maybe. You look away.
17. Bite at your lip while you think about something. Dart your eyes to a corner of the room as if you’ve noticed a secret hiding there. Which ghost is it? Sometimes I think there might be one but it’s usually after I’ve stayed up too late and just need to get some sleep.
18. Hold your foot with your hand while you sit and look at your veins. There is a freckle near one of them and you think about how you wish you had more freckles, how having them in just the right spots would be so cute. You think about getting freckle tattoos. It wouldn’t be the same, you decide.
19. You weren’t really thinking about freckles then. I filled that part in on my own.
20. Tell someone a secret.
21. Tell me a secret.
22. Make plans that don’t exactly come about. Replace them with different plans that are even better. Do those plans instead. It’s okay to do something else sometimes.
23. Sometimes I worry that i’m mostly novelty and once it wears off then i’m just the grumbly back and forth kind of person that’s hard to deal with and boring.
24. Sometimes when I see your laugh, I imagine pure energy flying out of your mouth and into the sky and then settling back down later to be inhaled by something else altogether. Your energy is growth, and it is the color of light shining through blue green sea glass.
25. I would like to know you better. I am curious about what sorts of fireflies fly in your jar. They look really neat.
I am drifting particles.
You are drifting particles.
You are floating in the sun beams.
I am floating near by.
We touch and layer and then float away.
I used to romanticize eating kid cuisine meals even though they’re nothing special. I still haven’t had a kid cuisine meal.
Your lips are rose petals,
bloom sweet flower,
bloom bloom bloom.
Kiss the dew so sweet.
Sometimes I’m like “hell yeah, i’m doing life!”
Sometimes i’m like “hell no, i’m doing life.”
4:30 AM thoughts
I’m so lucky to be surrounded by funny and interesting people so often.
I want to run my finger down your spine,
and laugh at the hours giving way to sun rises,
kiss the small of your back like a wax seal on an envelope.
Black gold tires on the rim trimmed top flat,
murk murshing through the murky mires,
I wore the track out with the tires.
Cold cocked and credible discredited
thoughts I might have had if I had not learned
to spent what I had earned.
'Cause the gravel on my feet,
leaves marks and blood speckled
eyes bump out with glasses
There are dreams where i’m laughing until I wake up,
there are beds where i’ve slept and cried.
I have stapled forms together and created documents
detailing bone structures
and commonplace feelings arranged in the shape of yesterday,
and tomorrow walking forward,
and today laying in bed.
Would you write me letters if I was in another state?
Or would you write me e-mails if I was in a better one?
Would you come up to my door in the evening holding a box of
rain soaked chocolates that you thought might be a funny gesture?
I bet you ate the mint ones,
cause you like the ones that no one else does.
I think that’s how we got in this situation,
where the doorway is like a wall.
I used to worry that sometimes you’d come up to my door in the evening,
holding a box of rain soaked chocolates,
but that was just a dream where I cried until I woke up.
I swear I’ve had dreams where I’ve laughed until I woke up.
I’ve slept in beds where i’ve cried.
Would you write me letters if I was in another state?
Would you leave the mint ones,
the ones you normally eat,
and do something different for a change,
maybe that’s how we got in this situation,
where the doorway holds our chains.
Salt marks in the palm lines,
chalk it up to laugh marks and good times.
I wore the lip of the ancients on my ear lobe like the Summer kiss,
while your eyes oceaned and shore lined, brown on crystal blue
like a rare gem in the cave walls,
like a cooled stone in the volcano crevice.
I like when you squeeze me.
I like when you sneak little things into the space between us.
The devil dust between your toes,
grows thicker than the desert rose,
that drove us out of Holcome county,
I heard it all on the radio.
The Summer burned and said to go,
so we wrote our map to Mexico.
And beneath the brush and trees,
we jumped like sandy fleas,
while the devil dust between our toes,
grew thicker than the desert rose.